[En-Nut-Discussion] DynDNS - query WAN IP

enlist at touch2nut.de enlist at touch2nut.de
Sat Dec 31 13:11:40 CET 2005

Hi all,

I want to implement a DynDNS-Client into my application, therefore I need
the dynamic public WAN-IP of my router.
At the moment I only see 2 ways to solve the problem:

1. Query an external server (http) which offers the service to "echo" the
WAN-IP. (I don´t like this) 2. Do it like traceroute (my prefered solution)
and this leads to my question:

As it seems to me, for the traceroute-like solution I need to "hack" NUT/OS
to modify TTL and process the echoed ICMP-packets - right !? Has anybody
another idea - or a free available implementation for a DynDNS-client or
traceroute?

Greetings from Germany - and a happy new year to all of you !

Andreas Genzel