[En-Nut-Discussion] Help for a Newbie

Wittmier, Joshua Joshua.Wittmier at fluke.com
Mon Jul 11 19:07:55 CEST 2005

Hello,

I have had past experience in programming microcontrollers in their assembly
language (PIC18LF448 and Motorola 68HC11).  I have been given the assignment
of putting a real time os on a microcontroller.  The microcontroller being
used is an Atmel mega128 and I have an ATmega128 development board from
PRLLC (www.prllc.com).  As of right now I only have a serial interface for
programming the board from the computer.

I am fairly new to Makefiles and this project.  I have been over and over
the Ethernut documentation.  I have went through the Quick Start with WinAVR
for Windows a few times, and I need a little help with my understanding and
with how exactly to proceed.

1) When going through the Net Configurator, what .conf file should I use
since I am not using a specific Ethernut board?

2) How exactly do I code a program and then load it onto the chip?  From my
understanding, I can use a program like Programmer's Notebad to code my
program.  Then, using one of the premade Makefiles from Ethernut, I modify
it for the chip I am using.   I then load the program and the modified
makefile into a directory.  Using an AVR bootloader, I load that program and
then load it onto the mcu via the serial interface.  Also, that program I
load onto the mcu should be a .hex file if I understand correctly.

To try to be clearer, I am having trouble understanding exactly how the real
time os fits into this picture of programming the mcu.  For I have already
with just WinAVR and Programmer's Notepad programmed a simple program to
light up the LEDs on the board.  And I did not use any real time os.  I
understand why we want to use a real time os, just not exactly how it fits
into programming the mcu.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you for the time and help,

Josh Wittmier