[En-Nut-Discussion] RFC - Redesigning Timer Interrupt Processing

Ole Reinhardt ole.reinhardt at kernelconcepts.de
Sun Jun 12 14:40:23 CEST 2005

Hi Matthias, Harald and all theee others...

> Because of the rough granularity (62.5ms) of the system timer is  quite
> inaccurate.

I need a high accuracy of the system timer in some applications. That's
why I mostly don't have an external crystal and define NUT_CPU_FREQ in
the makefiles. This way I gain a timer resolution of 1ms.

I now have some applications where the accuracy need to be 1 to 2 ms or
even better. With the currect approach this works quite fine. If we
remove the ability of NutTimerStart completely or move it out of the
interrupt context I'd need to define my own timer API. Ok, I'd do so if
we could make NutOS faster with this approach. I'd like to have some
kind of timer api where one could define one or more timer that call a
custom callback. But that's what we just thought about some days ago, right?

Bye,

Ole

--
kernel concepts    Tel: +49-271-771091-14
Dreisbachstr. 24   Fax: +49-271-771091-19