[En-Nut-Discussion] protecting inputs

William Baker bbaker at priefert.com
Mon Jun 13 19:43:52 CEST 2005

I am trying to protect the inputs on my Ethernut.  Under normal
circumstances, the inputs should be wired to a nice protected TTL
friendly 5V circuit.  However, this is an industial environment and
there is a lot of 24V circuitry on the device.  I am sure that circuits
will be misconnected/shorted during assembly/maintenance/testing of the
equipment.

I'm happy to add a friendly daughter-board with screw connectors, but am
unsure about the circuitry.  I need the device to survive a temporary
24V misconnection to any of the digital inputs.  Zener's and resistors?
Unity gain op-amp?  I'm a software guy with only passing knowledge of
hardware.

Any recommendations?

I realize this an electronic question and not 100% on topic.  Please excuse.

bbaker