[En-Nut-Discussion] NutSleep implementation optimization

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Mon Jun 13 20:03:16 CEST 2005

Matthias,

it's not final. Thus the docs hadn't been updated.

There are three remaining issues:

1. Not supporting callbacks within interrupt context breaks
some existing apps. At least Ole Reinhardt and Ralph Mason
stated this. On the other hand, most people voted for removal
of this support. However, if it's removed, do we need callbacks
at all? The kernel doesn't really, as it uses timers in two
ways only: Thread sleep and Event timeout.

2. Late timer release as it is implemented now in CVS HEAD may
cause memory overflow with some applications. A solution might be
to remove elapsed timers when creating new ones. _BUT_, in this
case thread switching has to be avoided. Threads do not expect
a context switch when starting a timer.

3. As posted in my answer to Oliver Schulz, setting runningTimer
to NULL to disable timer list processing in the interrupt handler
isn't that smart. It might be sufficient to simply disable
timer interrupts.

If we completely remove system timer callbacks, we need an
alternative - the new application timer API demanded by Ole.
If this new API supports timer callbacks in interrupt context,
these callbacks may again block the whole system.

Thus my question: Where's the advantage?

Regarding other critical sections: Yes, I think most of them if
not all can be removed. But I want to delay this until at least
issues 1 and 2 are solved.

Harald