[En-Nut-Discussion] protecting inputs

Andrea Cannavicci axel_lob at email.it
Tue Jun 14 09:02:48 CEST 2005

Normally, when you must interface a digital board (TTL or LVTTL) to any
environment
that use non-TTL voltage level the best protection is to use photocoupler.
This is possible if the interface signals are quite slow (<100Khz). For fast
signals you can use open-collector transistor (I use 2n2222).
Note that this type of protection can be use for non-bidirectional signal.
Simple resistor and diodes are a possible solution, but not 100% effective.

If you want I can send you same protection circuit example I have used and
debugged.

Andrea Cannavicci.