[En-Nut-Discussion] Code size reduction

Johan van der Stoel j.v.d.stoel at stream-it.nl
Wed Jun 22 21:47:06 CEST 2005

Hello,

We currently have an Nut/OS application which we have compiled with GCC and
results in about 110-115 kbytes code size.
What we are facing with our next project is the code size limit of the
ATMEGA128.
A solution to survive this situation for a certain amount of time, is to
move from GCC to ICC-AVR. However, testing this with the demo version of
ICC-AVR appears to be not possible, unfortunately.

I have the following questions:
1. Does anyone have experience with the code size reduction which can be
achieved with the several compiler optimisations? Our code has been
programmed pretty optimal for GCC.
2. Another important aspect is reliability of the code which is generated. I
have read in this newsgroup about some too optimistic compiler optimisations
by using a recent version of GCC and as you can imagine: this is definitely
not something we would like to happen!

I look forward to your comments.

Best regards,
Johan van der Stoel