JFFS2 and GPL: was: Re: [En-Nut-Discussion] FAT filesystem and SD/MMC cards

Vesa Jääskeläinen chaac at nic.fi
Fri Jun 24 09:35:53 CEST 2005

Ole Reinhardt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>>The ecos JFFS2 doesn't look bad. Unfortunately it's GPL'ed and
>>won't fit to Ethernut's BSD licence.
>
> This should not be that much of a problem as there is a small exception
> to the GPL. Read http://sources.redhat.com/jffs2/jffs2-licence.html
>
> I understood that we could use the code as long as we publish the jffs2
> code itself under GPL. All other code of NutOS won't be affected by
> this.

I would make that as an external package and then provide link to it in
web page. Then it is on users own jurisdiction what to do with it. If we
bundle it with Nut/OS there might be some legal issues that we might not
see currently.

GPL is evil if we think about commercial development. I wouldn't want
any GPL components in my software to be on safe side.

Thanks,
Vesa Jääskeläinen