[En-Nut-Discussion] Patch for SuSE 10.0 and gcc402

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Thu Nov 24 15:09:24 CET 2005

Matthias,

At 14:55 24.11.2005 +0100, you wrote:

>Hm.
>a) I've completely lost track of the way nut/os is build by default
>(as we're using
>my simple Makefile to support several targets in parallel).
>b) if there's still a configure script that is called, one could add
>a simple check
>to figure out the gcc version and add this option if gcc 4+
>
>harald, can you give me a hint, where to add a gcc4 check? :)

The main problem is to allow building in the source tree.
This requires, that the make utility is aware for the
compiler version, right?

One could probably write one of this nifty and unreadable
sed scripts to pass the avr-gcc version to a Makefile
definition. The more I think about this, the less I like
it.

How about creating a new Makedefs.avr-gcc4. This has two
advantages:

- It may include other GCC4 specifics, like different
optimization settings.

- It could be easily integrated into the configurator.
(Actually the Configurator will automatically find it
and offer it to the user.)

The only file that needs modification is the nutsetup
script. May be Torben can do this as he got GCC 4
available?