[En-Nut-Discussion] Xflash:crxflash crashes

José Vallet jose.vallet at hut.fi
Tue Nov 29 19:59:02 CET 2005

Hello.

I am developping an application that uses the http server to send an
html page with an applet that is a GUI. The problem is that the
resulting applet is a bit large.

As a first test I just try to include the applet in the "simple" folder
of the http example. The original size of the folder is about 40Kb, and
the new size is 73Kb. When I compile the project (avr-gcc) it fails,
giving a message "error: size of variable `file9data' is too large".
This made me think that the flash memory is quite full and that the file
stored in urom.c with the variable name 'file9data' doesn't fit anymore,
right? (Please, correct me if I am wrong!).

One solution would be to shrink the code: impossible, it will grow still
a lot more when further developping (program and applet). However this
will be kept in mind.

Another is to store the applet and web files in the data flash. In order
to try this I downloaded the Xflash stuff from
http://www.usbdip.de/en/xflash/index.html
and compied it with gcc. I assumed that I have the whole 512Kb for web
pages and applets... But it seems that the crxflash crashes when trying
to make the xflash.bin from a web directory that exceeds about 54Kb!!
The crash is without any explanation (well, the typical window saying
"crxflash.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close... please
tell Microsoft about it...").

So, Is there any limit in the size of the web folder that can be created
with crxflash?

If not, what am I missing?

If yes, is there any way to use all the data flash for the web stuff?

Thanks in advance.
José