[En-Nut-Discussion] LAN91C111 -> DM9000 in new Ethernut?

Steffen Koepf skoepf-ml at opaya.de
Mon Oct 10 20:51:26 CEST 2005

Hello Harald,

> >May i ask whats the reason for the switch? Availability?
>
> No, the SMSC is easier to get than the Davicom. There
> are two reasons why we try the DM9000E on Ethernut 3:
>
> 1. Less power consumption with less heat.
> 2. Much cheaper.
>
> So far we have good experience with the DM9000.

Thank you for this information.

I have seen 2 other interesting chips:

- Microchip's ENC28J60 with SPI Interface, 10 MBit Only but
  perhaps a low cost solution for small boards when it is
  available.
- AT91SAM7X256, a ARM/thumb one with a 10/100 MBit Ethernet MAC
  (requires a external PHY), 256 KByte Flash and 64 KByte RAM
  in a 100 Pin PQFP Package. The power consumption seems to
  be low, but i do not know what the external PHY needs. But
  at the moment not available.

Seems, that the future will bring us interesting chips and
possibilites.

cu,

Steffen