[En-Nut-Discussion] RFC: can_dev.c proposed changes

Ole Reinhardt ole.reinhardt at kernelconcepts.de
Sun Oct 23 15:16:17 CEST 2005

Hi,

> The filter capabilities of the various CAN chips are quite different and
> the can_dev layer can only implement a very basic filter model which can
> be implemented for all chips.
Right,

> The SJA1000 has it's specific dual filter mode. The AT90CAN128 on the
> other hand can have a different filter for each of the 15 receive
> buffers. Another chip might have again a different filter model.

Good point. I think a hardware specific filter setting is the best
compromise.

I also don't have a problem with overwriring can_set_filter with the new
Code. Is anybody out there whom it would concern? Otherwise we should
mark this function deprecated and remove it later.

Bye,

Ole Reinhardt

--
kernel concepts    Tel: +49-271-771091-14
Dreisbachstr. 24   Fax: +49-271-771091-19