[En-Nut-Discussion] Atmega 256 for Ethernut?

Henrik Maier hmlists at focus-sw.com
Mon Oct 24 07:50:18 CEST 2005

The stack handling problem should not be of a concern anymore as Nut/OS
supports now a thread model where the thread stack can be kept in
internal memory.

Should the ATmega256 show a similar problem to the AT90CAN128, one can
use this feature to overcome it.

More of a concern will be the best way to incorporate an additional CPU
into the Nut/OS source tree.

With more AVR CPUs on the horizon, the current model of checking against
ATmega103, ATmega128 and AT90can128 does not make sense any more as the
list of ifdef conditions will become almost endless.

Possible AVR CPU Nut/Os could support already now are:

Atmega103
Atmega32
Atmega64
Atmega128
Atmega256
at90can32
at90can64
at90can128
atmega256
atmega1281
atmega2561
atmega640
atmega1280
atmega2560

I rather suggest to introduce a capability model, where in avr.h for
each known CPU certain capability macros are set. The goal should be,
that with introduction of a new AVR cpu only avr.h needs to be changed.

Examples could be:

AVR_CAP_USE_TIMER0 (atmega103, atmega128)
AVR_CAP_USE_TIMER2 (at90can128, atmega256)
AVR_CAP_HAVE_SECOND_UART
AVR_CAP_HAVE_THIRD_UART
AVR_CAP_HAVE_CAN
AVR_CAP_HAVE_SECOND_TWI