AW: [En-Nut-Discussion] NutRegisterIrqHandler() twice?

Przemyslaw Rudy prudy at audiotech.pl
Mon Oct 24 10:04:58 CEST 2005

Hi,
You are definitely right regarding processor usage/task switch issues.
But please consider the following:
The device driver init usually registers an interrupt handler for
external interrupt line per one device. What about registering more
devices on one interrupt line? To achieve this there are two ways:
1. handle multiple devices by the first registered common(!) handler,
then he body of the interrupt handler is:
---------
for (all devices )
{
/* read/write hardware */
/* wake up user space by posting an event */
}
---------

2. having a possibility to create a list of handlers called from within
an interrupt one by one, without the context change between them, in
this case the body of handler would be as usual:
---------
/* read/write hardware */
/* wake up user space by posting an event */
---------
except that the for() per each device would be executed in the layer
above, so by the OS handler caller.
What we can gain from the second solution is that totally different
drivers (thus different handlers and different hardware) can share the
same interrupt line, which is not possible in the first case.

Regards
Przemek