[En-Nut-Discussion] ISP programmer with >256bytes RAM

James A van Zee javanzee at operamail.com
Fri Sep 16 22:30:58 CEST 2005

Greetings to all,

     I'm an 'AVR newbie' (but with many years of experience in the 'embedded
world').  I read with interest on the webpage
<http://www.ethernut.de/en/isp/index.html> why AVR Studio can't program EEPROM
via the ISP interface, and noted the comment that this could be fixed by using
an ATmega8 in place of the (now obsolete!) AT90S2313.  (BTW: there is an
improved version, the ATtiny2313, which can now be purchased, but it still only
has 128 bytes of RAM.)

     Since I am in the position of building something for the first time, has
anyone already done this - i.e. replace the 'inline programming' stream with a
'buffer the transfer, then do the programming' version, using a processor (such
as the ATmega8) with sufficient RAM for this purpose?

     I know such a modification is 'trivial' (ha!), since one is going from
time-critical code to non-time-critical code, but even so there is the required
handshaking, etc. -- all of which I know nothing about at the moment (and just
want to get on with my own project!).

     Thanks to anyone who might be able to offer some suggestions (code would
be nice!).

                                                                Sincerely,

                                                                Jim van Zee
                                                                Seatlle, WA