[En-Nut-Discussion] i2c communication with Ethernut-1.3g

Ole Reinhardt ole.reinhardt at kernelconcepts.de
Wed Aug 16 09:06:31 CEST 2006

Hi,

> Basic layout: We have an ethernut on a lan which controls multiple AVRs that
> will do some monitoring. Only thing left to do is the communication between the
> ethernut and the other AVRs.
>
> If we were able to use 2 pins on a port, that would mean that we could put up to
> 5 AVRs on one of the ethernut's ports.

You just wrote you would propably use i2c as well? Seems to be a good
choice if you run the Ethernut as master and your other avrs as slave.
Right know I don't know from mind if the ATMega169 supports i2c. If not
it's quite easy to implement using two ports.

I would connect the twi port (i2c) from the ethernut, run the ethernut
as master and parallel connect the 5 ATMega169 to this bus. Running
NutOS on the Ethernut the i2c protocol usage is very simple, on the
Mega169 (not running ethernut, right?) you have to implement it by you
own.

If you have more detailed questions, let me know... If you like, I could
send you some demo code for an ethernut bases design using i2c to
control some i2c port expanders. This could help you to get started.

best regards,

Ole Reinhardt

--
kernel concepts    Tel: +49-271-771091-14
Dreisbachstr. 24   Fax: +49-271-771091-19