[En-Nut-Discussion] Re: RTS/CTS flow control

Ole Reinhardt ole.reinhardt at kernelconcepts.de
Fri Aug 18 11:05:21 CEST 2006

Hi,

>    Thanks for the tip, I didn't know about UART_HS_RTSCTS constant. I
> haven't tested on the device yet, but I did a grep for it and the only
> reference to it is in unix_devs.c :(
>    I have some little hopes that it will work, but I will try anyway.

Yes, the documentation is burried very deep in the online api
documentation:

http://www.ethernut.de/api/group__xgUARTHS.html

As I mentioned before I'm using this extensivly and it works great for
me.

The constants you used came from:

http://www.ethernut.de/api/uartavr_8h.html

This is the uartavr.c driver, not usartavr.c.

Only the usartavr.c correctly implements rts/cts flow control. This is
the most advanced uart driver for the avr. So make shure you initialize

NutRegisterDevice(&devUsartAvr0, 0, 0);

instead of

NutRegisterDevice(&devUartAvr0, 0, 0);

>    Is it possible that the hardware you are using on btnut never actually
> rely on these signals to function? I guess I will download btnut cvs and
> grep there as well. Maybe there is something different that could be of help
> :)

No, the rts/cts handshake is necessary otherwise these modules does not
work properly. We are using a zeevo bluetooth module connected over the
rs232 to the ATMega128. The controller does not have enough fifo buffers
to communicate without interruptions over rs232 with the bt module.

Bye,

Ole Reinhardt

--
kernel concepts    Tel: +49-271-771091-14
Dreisbachstr. 24   Fax: +49-271-771091-19