[En-Nut-Discussion] FTP access behind router

Ulrich Hertlein ulrich.hertlein at artcom.de
Fri Aug 18 16:32:16 CEST 2006

Peter Sodermanns wrote:
> But behind a NAT router this cannot work. I can connect via HTTP since
> the router has a fix IP-address but the device knows nothing about that.
>
> Even worse, I tried to connect to that given IP-address with filezilla
> and reached a server which was not my device. So even if I would store
> that external IP-Address in my device, I wouldn't reach it.
>
> Does anyone know a solution?

There is no clean solution except to activate port forwarding on your
NAT router for ports 80 (http) and/or 21 (ftp) so that requests to those
ports are forwarded to your internal/private IP address.

/ulrich

--
Ulrich Hertlein | Software Development

ART+COM AG
Kleiststr. 23-26 | 10787 Berlin | Germany

phone: +49.30.21001-433
fax:   +49.30.21001-555

http://www.artcom.de