[En-Nut-Discussion] Two Nut/OS boxes do not communicate witheachother

Ernst Stippl ernst at stippl.org
Wed Dec 13 08:39:31 CET 2006

Hi Willem!

I assume that you are using the serial I/F to connect from the Ethernut to
the  GPRS modem (phone), right?

If that is the case, it would require a little HW fiddling to be able to use
Ethereal to show what is going on within the PPP protocol:

The 9-pin serial I/F has a TX (transmit) and RX (receive) line (pin 3 and 2
of the DB9 connector). You need to get into the DB9 connector and tap into
pin 2 and pin 3.

If you connect these two pins to SEPARATE RX pins in two DIFFERENT serial
I/F on a PC, you could use a program like "SerialAnalyser" to listen and
capture the data (going in and out of the Ethernut) and produce a PCAP file
which in turn can be analyzed and displayed by Ethereal...

Not a very easy way, but  working.

One more thought: Do you connect from the PC (when using it instead of one
Ehernut) to the Ethernut board or vice versa? Have you added routing
information using the "NutIpRouteAdd" function into your Ethernut app?

regards
ernst