[En-Nut-Discussion] Ethernut Porting <was> Ethernut port to CrossStudio

Joel Winarske joelw at indyelectronics.com
Thu Feb 9 21:34:26 CET 2006

> Assuming that the compiler understands most ANSI C constructs and
> has limited support for inline assembly, then the really tricky part
> that is left, is runtime initialization. In order to make the code
> look like standard, Nut/OS prefers to have main() without all these
> OS-Init calls, but with the idle thread already running in the
> background. (Well, OK, we have NutRegisterDevice, but that's
> another story).

Ok I have kernel portion compiling with IAR.

I have a few questions:

1.  strcmp vs. strcmp_P
I am seeing direct calls to strcmp().  In a number of existing header files
#defines with a "suffix of "_P" are used to isolate library call.  What is
the preferred method of making clib calls?

2.  Duplicate files
Should these be identical, and is this by design?
\ethernut-4.1.1\nut\os\nutinit.c
\ethernut-4.1.1\nut\arch\avr\os\nutinit.c

Regards,
Joel