[En-Nut-Discussion] Web Charts? Use java?

José Vallet jose.vallet at hut.fi
Tue Feb 21 18:40:50 CET 2006

Tim Tait wrote:

> José -
>
> I am also a java newbie.
>
> Real time data update via socket sounds cool, but that applet looks
> pretty big. How small did you get it?

Do you mean the one shown at jchart2D web page?

I changed that one a bit and now it includes 2 charts (linear and
histogram like), 5 slider controls (with entry type and range checking),
1 button... but it will grow.

I managed to put it all in a 73Kb .jar (before optimization it was
137Kb) I use the entire flash for the web server, so in my opinion it
can still grow a lot more.

> What I did was very simple - you have to refresh the page to get new
> data, but it should do what I need.

I cannot do that because I need "real time" measurements and data
presentation. Refreshing the page seems slow, and adds unnecessary
overhead to the process (all the httpd stuff). On the other hand the
applet is downloaded only once in the whole process, and the data
presentation is really fast (is done by the computer). The only extra
thing to do at the Ethernut side is the socket communication and data
sending.

I was trying to post an example in the list (binaries), so you could
easily test it by yourself, but it was too big for posting it (172Kb the
.hex plus 117Kb the xflash.bin) (Sorry Harald for that, simply didn't
notice!)

The xflash.bin includes all the web files of the httpd example plus the
.html that has the applet inside (1 line of code). So the gui itself is
basically 73kb (you have 512Kb in the flash)

If you are interested let me know and I will send you personally the
binaries and instructions about how to run the example, so you can judge
by yourself.

Regards
José