[En-Nut-Discussion] TCP/IP Stack crashes

Hugo Simon hugo.simon at gmx.de
Wed Jan 11 11:46:46 CET 2006

> I can't remember similar problems with the LAN91C111 and also the
> DM9000E looks quite reliable. Well, from time to time there are
I have three Ethernut 2.1 Boards running two different applications and I
have the effect on all three.

One as mentioned is in a large company network, but the 10 minutes breakdown
seems a onetime thing. It now runs for a few hours.

The other is in a university network and crashes about 2..3 days.

The third is in a small private network connected via DSL router to the
interne and crashes about once a week.

In my own network of about 5 network devices but also connected to a DSL
router, which is a Linux fli4L system with restrictive configured
firewalling runs without crash for 2 weeks now.

Another Ethernut 1.3 works for about one year in my private network without
crash!

So for me it looks like especially the LAN91C111 has the problem, not the
Realtek.

> real trouble. I'd suggest to open stdout on devDebug and
> insert printf() statements in the hole Ethernet receive chain.
Hm, I will try it, but what would make sense to monitor. I think I would run
into problems if I send some debug infos on every received interrupt,
because the Uart is much slower than the Ethernet, so I would break down the
receiver routines by the Uart output.

> As soon as you found the location where Ethernut stops working,
> please let me know and I'll try to help.
We will see if I can reproduce and protocol the error. Maybe I should test
this on an Ethernut 1.3, but for now I have no free one.

Thank you
Thorsten