[En-Nut-Discussion] Stack and memory Questions?

Steve Kelly steve at planetcontrols.com.au
Fri Jan 20 11:35:42 CET 2006

Hey all

Just wondering if anyone can tell me if im on the right track here.

I am trying to determine how much ram I am using and get a handle on the
Nut ram usage.

I am using 2.1 rev b board and 3.9.8 Nut.

1. If I use NutHeapAvailable I am assuming that tells me how much ram is
left after all Global Variables and any memalloc().

2. When I have the value that NutHeapAvailable outputs do I then take
away all the ram used by each thread to determine roughly how much is
left.

3. When using imagecraft should the return stack size be left at 16?

4. Besides the Threads, NutHeap, and Imagecraft stacks is there much
other ram usage by Nut/os?

5. I have a bunch of structures which occupy about 10k of ram. I have
declared them as global as they are used throughout the program and are
updated from another product of ours via 485 comms. DO I need to / or is
there any need to use memalloc().

I have never used this function before in embedded but should I on
Nut/os?

6. For my RS485 comms I use Uart1 and have directly addressed the uart
registers, and I read / write to the uart with interrupt driven mode. Is
there any issues in doing this and not using the Nut functions to do so?
The interrupts are bare minimum clock cycle overhead as far as the code
is concerned. It all seems to work fine and that is with 250k baud and
continual data transfer so im guessing it is ok.

7. Finally last question. I have changed the crystal to 16mhz. Is there
any implications in doing this? It all seems to work fine as before I
changed it.

Thanks in advance.

Steve