[En-Nut-Discussion] ARP Flood...

Michael Jones Michael.e.Jones at web.de
Sat Jan 28 13:29:58 CET 2006

Hello,

Just to let you all know about my observations regarding the ARP problems
that have been discussed here in various flavors.

I've just completed writing a little test program that floods the network
with Random ARP announcements.

Using Ethereal to confirm the actual process I (among a few other tests)
flooded the network with 30 Million ARP announcements (random MAC and random
IP) over a timeframe of 5 minutes (~100000 per second). You might be happy
to know that the only component on the network that almost jumped out of its
skin during this test was ethereal (took about 7 minutes to recover) whereas
all 30 modules running Nut/OS remained stable. The only noticeable effect
was that the throughput of data on the connections to and from the Nut/OS
was reduced by about 20% which I would consider expectable.

The next steps that I will write tests for will be:

- simulate a few thousand clients attempting a connection to Nut/OS
- simulate extensive UDP Broadcasts hitting the Nut/OS
- <your suggestion could go here>

Cu,
Michael