[En-Nut-Discussion] How do I generate Ethernut (Net & OS) with symbols?

Chuck Hackett egroupscdh at up844.us
Mon Jan 30 07:28:17 CET 2006

> From: Chuck Hackett
> Also, is adding the "elf: $(PROJ).elf" rule to "HTTPD\UserConf.mk" the way I'm
> supposed to generate the elf file?  It seemed strange that I'd have to do that
> but I noticed that the "make all" deletes the elf file at the end and I didn't
> notice any other rules to produce it.  Or, should I be giving AVRStudio a
> different file?  Is there a template that the sample directory "Makefile"s are
> generated from that I should modify for this?  This is probably just due to my
> 'newness' at WinAVR & Ethernut.

(Partially answering my own question)

I see in the Nut/FAQ where it talks about changes to the Makefile to generate
the elf file.  I would have thought that this was a common enough operation that
it would have been included in the Makefile created by the Configurator steps.
It's my understanding that this Makefile is overwritten if I regenerate the Nut
and the samples.

BTW: When should one use cof files and when should you use elf files?  And/or
which is best to use with AVR Studio?  I'm using elf because that's what I was
using in my initial learning of WinAVR/AVRStudio.

If it makes any difference in all this, I'm using Programmers Notepad 2 to do
the builds of HTTPD.

BTW: I have tried opening the cof file also - still no symbols for Nut/Net or
Nut/OS.

Cheers,

Chuck Hackett
"Good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgment"
7.5" gauge Union Pacific Northern (4-8-4) 844
http://www.whitetrout.net/Chuck