[En-Nut-Discussion] How do I generate Ethernut (Net & OS) withsymbols?

Chuck Hackett egroupscdh at up844.us
Mon Jan 30 09:33:30 CET 2006

> From: José Vallet
>
> Hello Chuck.
>
> I am just a newbie here, so don't take my answer here as "the" answer, OK?.

Actually I got part of my info for my first attempts from seeing your recent
email in the archives (I just re-subscribed to this list yesterday).

> If I want to generate the .elf file what I do is "make
> myprogramname.elf" and it works. I don't add anything special to any
> file. Actually "myprogramname" can be anything, and it will generate the
> .elf file with that name (for example "make lalala.elf" will exactly
> generate a file named lalala.elf)

Yes, I was aware of that, but, since I run the makes from Programmers Notebook
(as opposed to a command line) as I understand it, I'd have to create a "Tool"
for each different elf target I wanted - not good.

I haven't checked into the new make sequence to find out why (too tired, getting
punchy), but it generates (and does not delete) the $(PROJ).elf file now which
suits me fine.

BTW: It's a bad idea to modify files in a release directory: one downside of the
method I used (creating the .avr-gcc-debug files) is that, when I install a new
release of Ethernut, I'll have to remember to copy over these files - or, more
precisely, recreate them from the newly released copies of the .avr-gcc files.
Unless, of course the Ethernut developers create a 'supported' way of doing this
(probably two options Nut symbols and app symbols).

Can anyone tell me what the "Tools/gcc/include debug info" option does in the
configurator?  It apparently does not cause symbols to be generated.

Cheers,

Chuck Hackett
"Good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgment"
7.5" gauge Union Pacific Northern (4-8-4) 844
http://www.whitetrout.net/Chuck