[En-Nut-Discussion] elf Symbols problem with WinAVR and/or AVRStudio

Chuck Hackett egroupscdh at up844.us
Mon Jan 30 20:21:47 CET 2006

Well, I'm still trying to get source level debugging working with Nut/OS.

I've worked on it more and now my problem now is that when I open the
httpdserv.elf file (2.692 Mb) into the AVRStudio (4.10.356) simulator (I know it
won't run there, I'm just testing the symbols) I get prompted with a "locate"
dialog box trying to locate (line wrap was done by Outlook):

"c:\ethernut-4.0.1\nutbuild\os\c:\ethernut-4.0.1\nutbuild\os\..\arch\avr\os\nuti
nit.c"

Note that this appears to be two paths concatenated together "\c:\" in the
center.

If I cancel the "locate' boxes it acts as though there are symbols there, i.e.:
it opens the disassembler window and displays the machine code along with
symbolic labels, but where the source lines should appear it displays something
like (wrap in first line was done by Outlook):

----
C:\ethernut-4.0.1\NutBuild\os\C:\ethernut-4.0.1\nut\os\..\arch\avr\os\nutinit.c
(not found) --
280: Error: File not found

Somewhere I read (AVRFreaks?) that there may be a problem in WinAVR and/or
AVRStudio having to do with mixed "\" and "/" characters in path names (or
concatenation of path names?).  Could this have something to do with my problem?
Is there a workaround?

My Environment:
	Windows XP
	Ethernut 4.0.1
	WinAVR 20060125
	AVRStudio 4.10.356
	Ethernut2.1b target

Has anyone tried generating symbolic debug information for Nut/OS with WinAVR
version 20060125 and using it in AVRStudio 4.10.356?

Note that it appears to work fine for the httpserv.c code itself (BTW:
httpdserv.c is located at C:\ethernut-4.0.1\Apps\httpd\httpserv.c).  I can set a
breakpoint, display assembler with source and labels, etc.

I don't have much hair left, any help greatly appreciated. :-)

Cheers,

Chuck Hackett
"Good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgment"
7.5" gauge Union Pacific Northern (4-8-4) 844 http://www.whitetrout.net/Chuck