[En-Nut-Discussion] Selecting the nutconf - setting to be used

Ernst Stippl ernst at stippl.org
Sun Mar 12 17:32:01 CET 2006

Hi!

I followed the various recent messages around Nutconf. Because I need to
have several versions of Nut/OS on my PC, and each of these versions being
accessed by different compiler versions (gcc 3.4.1, 3.4.3, 3.4.5) I was
looking after separating the settings entered in nutconf from each other
Harald provided the hint of using the -s parameter to specify a name under
which the settings will be accessed (in the registry), but this requires to
start nutconf from the command line.

For the Windows users among us, I found (and I tested it under Win/XP SP2)
that a "windows-shortcut" can help:

right-click on nutconf.exe and click on "Create shortcut" in its context
menue.
right-click on the newly created "shortcut to nutconf.exe" and click on
properties
select the "shortcut" tab
in the "Target field you will find someting like:
J:\ethernut-4.1.4-avr-3.4.5\nutconf.exe
replace this with J:\ethernut-4.1.4-avr-3.4.5\nutconf.exe -s 4.1.4-avr-3.4.5
<= or whatevr fit your naming conventions
click OK and you are done

this adds/updates the "key"  4.1.4-avr-3.4.5 to the registry and uses it to
access the nutconf settings when using the shortcut to start nutconf.

whenever you click on the "shortcut to nutconf.exe" (which can be renamed to
fit you naming conventions ;-) nutconf will use the settings stored under
the respective key.

Nevertheless: Always check the FULL path when opening the nutconf ".conf"
file thru thr open-file-dialog. As far as I was able to test it, the path
used is not influenced by these settings.

regards

ernst

p.s. for the Linux folks, could there be an possibility to us a "link" to
achieve the same thing?