AW: [En-Nut-Discussion] Bug in EtherNut 3 with serial ports

scostas scostas at det.uvigo.es
Mon Mar 13 10:12:08 CET 2006

Ernst Stippl wrote:

Hi Ernst:

>> Have a look into the HW docs for thernut 2 and 3 board. You will see that on
>> the serial DB9 connector, the RX/TX pins (pin 2 and 3) are reversed. Due to
>> this, a cable working with the Ethernut 2 will not work with the Ethernut 3
>> and vice versa.

No, that isn't the problem, I built a new connector and checked it. I
already tested each part independently and they work fine (send to and
receive from each serial port). I even can have both ports opened at
the same time and work first with one, then with the other, and back
again. But as soon as I try to work with both serial ports at the same
time (this is, I try to send a character to serial 1 from a thread
while another thread is waiting for a character from serial 0) the
system hangs  :(

I did a new test this morning: I created a program with two threads. The
first shows some cicling messages at the LCD screen (conected to the
serial port 1), and the other one receives one character from serial
port 0 and sends it again to the same port (a simple ECHO). Each thread
works fine alone, but as soon as I launch both, the system hangs. More
precisely, when I try to write to serial port 1 from thread 1 while
thread 0 is waiting for a character from serial port 0.