AW: [En-Nut-Discussion] RAM vs. program memory speed

Ernst Stippl ernst at stippl.org
Fri Nov 3 22:18:53 CET 2006

Hi!

There are 2 instructions for reading "data" out of program flash memory: LPM
and ELPM. The Atmel Atmega128 manual (Rev. 2467L–AVR–05/04) states that each
of these 2 instructions uses 3 clock cycles to execute. You may want to
compare this to the instructions needed to access RAM ...

I do not believe the RAM access time is that significant (unless the memory
is very slow), it's simply the numbers of and clock cycles per  instruction
needed to access the data in ROM or FLASH.

regards
Ernst