[En-Nut-Discussion] AVR Studio simulation works

Andreas Heinzen heinzen at fh-koblenz.de
Mon Oct 2 16:20:37 CEST 2006

Hello list,

as I had explained in http://www.egnite.de/pipermail/en-nut-discussion/2006-September/007264.html
the simulation in general works, but it was much to slow for using.

I had used to original ethernut21b.conf, now I figured out that I could speed up simulation time
dramatically when the NUT_CPU_FREQ makro is defined.

I made some experiments with the lcd demo described above.
1. with original ethernut21b.conf
2. with original ethernut21b.conf + NUT_CPU_FREQ=14745600
3. with original ethernut21b.conf + NUT_CPU_FREQ=147456

The simulation time until "Hello world!\n" is visible in the HAPSIM LCD
1. about 16 minutes
2. about 80 seconds
3. about 18 seconds

That means the simulation is speed up more than a factor 50, and is absolutly use-
and helpful to study the thread handling in the AVR Studio Simulator / Hapsim.

IMHO NUT_CPU_FREQ=14745600 should be default for ethernut2.conf,
in several other configurations NUT_CPU_FREQ is set.

When there are questions about my demos or the environment, I will be back on wednesday.

Andreas