[En-Nut-Discussion] TCP Sockets: Slower than expected response time.

Josh Arnold jarnold at atterotech.com
Wed Oct 11 15:29:07 CEST 2006

We have an Ethernut implementation that talks to our own PC hosted GUI.  We
have been battling with slower than expected response times when
passing/processing packets back to the GUI.  The packets are typically small
but lots of them.

Our setup is NutOs running on an ATmega128 with a DM9000E controller.

Here is an example data exchange.
GUI                              Server(Ethernut)
Send ASCII cmd------->
    <--------------------ACK  cmd received(<1ms)   Ok, this is good
    <--------------------PSH Data in response to CMD (99ms  this too is
slow)
ACK Data received------>(200 ms after data received from server)

Where should we be looking to optimize this.  We have eliminated our
application code from being the culprit and it would appear to be somewhere
in the TCP/IP stack implementation.

Thanks,
Josh