[En-Nut-Discussion] Boot Loader

Dave Warren dwarren at luescher.com
Fri Oct 13 12:50:59 CEST 2006

Hi Ben,

I think I will modify your idea a little, the Atmel SAM7X256 EK board has a
socket for a dataflash card. Perhaps that is the place to store a downloaded
image. I could even use the nut/os file routines to save the binary files.

The problem that might be the most difficult is the start up of either the
bootloader or the normal nut/os application. Do you have your bootloader
working with nut/os?

I guess that on power up the bootloader would first run, it would check the
files on the dataflash and in internal flash and decide if an update of the
internal flash is required. After any update it would exit and some how
start the nut/os application. The nut/os application includes a way to
download new binary files to the dataflash. In addition files could be
updated by plugging the dataflash into a memory card reader on a PC. The
bootloader would be in a protected area of internal flash so it is always
safe.

Did you say your bootloader runs from RAM? How do you link the bootloader
and application to get then to start up?

regards

Dave