[En-Nut-Discussion] 4-6 serial ports on the ethernut?

Przemyslaw Rudy prudy at audiotech.pl
Sat Oct 14 13:38:09 CEST 2006

Hi Ovidiu

I have used simple pld logic to split atmega serial to 4 ports. It was
very simple solution with minimum software overhead, but of course they
could not be used simultaneously at the same time.
There is a tl16c554/ace software driver available that you can use,
providing you are ready to add tl16c554 hardware to your board. You
could have then multiple independent serial ports.

Regards
Przemek

Ovidiu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am thinking of using a software solution (direct connection of max232 to
> the i/o port), but i don't know if this is possible with Nutos without some
> serious programming (or maybe it is easy, but i don't know how...) and I
> don't have knowledge of any "hardware" chips that can do this. Can you give
> me some advice on this?
>

> Thank you in advance,
> Ovidiu
>
> PS: I forgot to say that I'm going to use Ethernut v1.3H
>
> On 10/13/06, Harald Kipp <harald.kipp at egnite.de> wrote:
>

>> Hi Ovidiu,
>>
>> The number of serial ports is limited by available RAM only
>> and 4-6 ports are no problem.
>>
>> But I'm not sure, if I got you right. You are talking about
>> UARTs, right? The ATmega128 got two of them only. What
>> hardware do you intend to use for the remaining 2-4 UARTs?
>>
>> Harald
>>

>> At 12:39 13.10.2006 +0300, you wrote:
>> >Hello,
>> >

>> >I am new to Ethernut (in fact I'm new to MCU's) and I am working on a
>> data
>> >acquisition system for my diploma project and for this I need to know if
>> >can program 4-6 serial ports on the same Ethernut board (I need to know
>> if
>> >NutOS has the software functions to support this).
>> >
>> >The ethernut board is working as a "concentrator" gathering information
>> from
>> >some smaller AVR's (attiny15) through a serial line and forwarding the
>> >information to a central computer using eth. In hardware the
>> modification
>> is
>> >very easy, the problem is with the software so my question is if NutOS
>> has
>> >support for more serial ports and if not what "simple" solution can I
>> use.
>> >
>> >Thanks,
>> >Ovidiu Poncea

believed to be clean.