[En-Nut-Discussion] Ethernet Reboot Issue

Tim DeBaillie debaillie at ciholas.com
Mon Oct 16 22:56:49 CEST 2006

I am having some issues with the Ethernut 4.1.9 RC on a AT91SAM7X256 chip.
Everything appears to work great until I do some stress testing.
Excessive ethernet receive can cause the system to reboot.  It appears to
be a heap issue, but I am not for certain.

Testing consists of two machines flood pinging the Ethernut system.  As
soon as I start up the second flood ping, the system reboots within
microseconds.  The system then "responds" to pings, but handles no TCP
traffic.  By "responds", I mean that pings return within 1+ seconds, which
means it is completely unreliable.

The only fix I have found thus far is a hard reset of the microcontroller.
I have been hunting through the OS code all day and have not been able to
make much headway on this.

This is not just related to ping, I have several boards installed in a
production environment that are seeing this problem.  It appears that they
receive a lot of broadcast packets and this is bringing them down.

Obviously we need to determine and fix the whole broadcast issue, but the
receiver should be able to "handle" this affectively.

Any comments or ideas are much appreciated.

Tim