[En-Nut-Discussion] Ethernet physical interface, do I have a free choice

Dave Warren dwarren at luescher.com
Tue Sep 5 11:03:25 CEST 2006

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question, as ethernet is still very
new to me.

I have ethernut running on the AT91SAM7X-EK development board and now I
would like to design my own board using the same Atmel chip. Now the dev
board uses a Davicom DM9161A for the PHY. If I use a different PHY (maybe
SMSC LAN8187) does this have any implications to the software. It seems the
PHY chips are programmed through SMI.

If it is a big hassle to change PHY does anyone know a source for Davicom in
the UK?

I would be greatful for any advice.

Regards

David Warren