[En-Nut-Discussion] debug using gdb for AVR in Linux

José Vallet jose.vallet at hut.fi
Mon Apr 16 12:36:07 CEST 2007

Hello.

I am trying to debug my application under Linux (Kubuntu 6.06)  using
gdb, avarice and an ATJTAGICE mkII. I have a strange problem.

Basically I add the line "HWDEF += -O0 -g" to UserConf.mk and the
process compiles without problems. But if I try to load the .elf file in
  the gdb it complains about a missing temporary file...

--------------
jose at aut-19:~/ethernut-4.2.1/nutapp/lcd-test$ avr-gdb lcd-test3.elf
(gdb) list
1       /tmp/ccZFY2vd.s: No such file or directory.
         in /tmp/ccZFY2vd.s
(gdb)
--------------------------

Using "objdump -d" I can see that there are many other temporary files
referenced by lcd-test3.elf that "should" be in the /tmp folder, but
they are not.
---------------
jose at aut-19:~/ethernut-4.2.1/nutapp/lcd-test$ objdump -g lcd-test3.elf |
grep /tmp
/tmp/ccZFY2vd.s:
/tmp/ccRwY0Qt.s:
/tmp/ccY4Asdx.s:
/tmp/ccsFRQaz.s:
/tmp/ccYLuMmf.s:
/tmp/ccuvqlth.s:
/tmp/ccyKhAeh.s:
/tmp/cctCfg1d.s:
/tmp/ccjpYdT3.s:
/tmp/cckas0z4.s:

Has anybody experienced this problem before? Any suggestions?

Is anybody being able to debug code under Linux with an JTAGICE device?

Regards
José