[En-Nut-Discussion] WG: Ethernut on 8051-architecture chip?

Ernst Stippl ernst at stippl.org
Sat Dec 29 20:19:43 CET 2007

Hi!

Does anybody know about a port of Ethernut to an 8051-type chip?

I think I remember an email asking the same some years ago, but I did not
find any conclusive answers.
Yes, the 8051 architecture has its limits, and there is no GCC support for
it - SDCC seems to be an often used compiler. This would pose additional
challenges.
But looking at the sheer volume of 8051-architecture based chips still in
use - wouldn't such a port help Nut/OS to establish itself further in the
embedded market space?

What do you think?

Regards & and a happy new year

Ernst