[En-Nut-Discussion] Need some installation help

Daniel eli.iceman at shaw.ca
Sun Jun 10 21:09:32 CEST 2007

Hi,
I've been trying to install ethernut-4.2.1 on a PIII running Debian4.0.
All the newest packages were downloaded and installed as suggested by
the 'Installation on Debian' document on the ethernut website.  Since
Lua was giving problems, I used the following configuration:
"./configure --disable-nutconf-gui".  Then I executed make and make
install.  After that, I ran ./nutsetup without problem.

However, after switching to ../ethernut-4.2.1/lib# and running make,
things started to go badly.  The following error messages were generated.

usart.c: In function âUsartIOCtlâ:
usart.c:844: error: unable to find a register to spill in class
âBASE_POINTER_REGSâ
usart.c:844: error: this is the insn:
(insn 663 162 163 14 (set (mem/c:HI (plus:HI (reg/f:HI 28 r28)
                (const_int 1 [0x1])) [29 S2 A8])
        (reg:HI 24 r24)) 12 {*movhi} (nil)
    (nil))
usart.c:844: confused by earlier errors, bailing out
make[1]: *** [usart.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/ethernut-4.2.1/dev'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Please let me know if you have any idea on how to actually install Nut.

Also, would it be possible just to use NUTos directly with avr-gcc by
just including the appropriate files in one's own project without having
to go through this configuration hell?

Thanks for any help,
Daniel