[En-Nut-Discussion] systime limit reduces valid uptime to 49 days

Bernard Fouché bernard.fouche at kuantic.com
Tue Nov 6 19:43:39 CET 2007

Another possibility beside moving the tick counter to 64 bits:
periodically 'reduce' tick counters to never overflow.

For instance every day (or every 49 days!) the 32 bits tick count is set
back to zero, an other variable incremented and when one needs the time
in ms, a system function will recalculate a 64 bits value to return
including the current tick count plus this 'other variable'. So
NutGetTickCount() would return a 64 bits value, but work mostly in 32
bits in the interrupt code, so Ethernuts running with ATMEGAs won't be
impacted too much. (having these to count in 64 bits would be a big
penalty since the MCU core is mostly 8 bits)

But sure this 49 days limit is a trap for long time running devices,
some function may never timeout and stuck the whole thing. Currently I
have apps that need 1ms precision (or about) to be able to trigger I2C
operations, so moving to a tick every 62ms would be bad, but these apps
usually don't run 49 days in a row (and I use comparisons that handle
the 32 bits overflow since I have no feature that require a 49 days timer)

Yet another dirty trick: when the application considers to be idle, have
it reboot if the tick counter is over a particular value...

  Bernard