[En-Nut-Discussion] Ethernut 5 with ARM9 ??

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Thu Oct 25 20:56:38 CEST 2007

Hi Alain,

I share your opinion regarding Nut/OS vs. Linux, but we both may be a
very small minority. :-)

In fact the SAM9260 is overkill for a tiny system like Nut/OS. On the
other hand, if you want a blindingly fast and tiny system optimized for
a special purpose, Ethernut 5 may easily outperform larger systems
running at higher clock rates. I recently heard about a customer, who
wanted to grab 200 fps from the SAM9 ISI port. It fails, because the
designers simply forgot to add one more register to the ISI/PDC
interface, which would make this possible on Linux. With Nut/OS, this
should still work because of very short interrupt latency times. Image
processing is also my major motivation for Ethernut 5.

I intended to publish a first schematic some weeks ago, but soemhow I
got stuck on the non-trivial power supply options (DC, USB and PoE).

Nut/OS has been successfully implemented on the AT91SAM9260 Evaluation
Kit. You may want to take a look to the Atmel Application Note 'AT91 SAM
Internet Radio'.

Regarding image processing: I purchased a kit from Omnivision, the
OV7720 ECX. It runs quite well via USB, but I do not know, whether this
sensor will work with the AT91SAM ISI. Informations about Atmel's image
sensor interface in the net are rare and I'd appreciate any pointer to
similar projects.

Harald