[En-Nut-Discussion] LPC2138 port

Alain M. alainm at pobox.com
Thu Sep 20 00:39:17 CEST 2007

Ole Reinhardt escreveu:
> Hi,
>
>> LPC2138 is a much better cpu than Atmel's. I will not change from
>> Nut/OS, but I would gladly change to LPC if it were possible.
>>
>> Just one comparison: LPC2138 runs at 60MHz zero wait states, SAM7 runs
>> at 55MHz one wait state. It's a BIG difference, even considering thumb mode.
>
> One big drawbag is the limited amount of on-chip ram. 32 KB is quite
> limited for a 32Bit CPU.

-------- From the DataSheet
32 kB of SRAM on the ARM local bus for high performance CPU access.

16 kB SRAM for Ethernet interface. Can also be used as general purpose SRAM.

8 kB SRAM for general purpose DMA use also accessible by the USB.
-------

Which makes 56k, not that bad. The Ethernet and USB memories is on a
separate buses so that their DMA does not afect program speed. Using
them as general purpose RAM is slower.

This brings a drawback: it's architecture is much more complicated :(

Alain