[En-Nut-Discussion] Elektor Radio on Youtube

Darren Worley darren at worley.org.au
Thu Apr 3 14:20:52 CEST 2008

Some food for thought on soldering irons, tips and solder...

DIL pins can be soldered almost as fast as that time lapse clip without a
'desolder' annular tip. Seriously!!

The iron used to do this is an older model HAKO926, with a Std HAKO tip!
HAKO make excellent tips, the best I've ever known, and that model iron has
great heat recovery time. If your've ever used one of them then you know
what I mean. Sadly, they don't make that model anymore.  Anyway, you can
basically 'slide' the iron along the side of the pins, and then slide feed
the solder on the other top side of the pin at a very steady pace. Its
almost like a ratchet effect as you progress the iron along, preheating the
next pin while your soldering the last. The meniscus effect of the solder
draws it to the pin and prevents bridging. Std Weller irons that I know of
have a very bizarre mechanical heat recovery mechanism, and are no good for
this method, as they do not heat recover anywhere near quick enough to do
this.

Oh, and this technique works much better with Associated Alloys solder (cant
remember the exact specs) over multicore, as  multicore solder does not
'wet' as well, and often over fluxes with their rosin cores. They use
different fluxes in their core, but none of the multicore solders I've ever
tried over the years (dozens of variants of flux types) work as well as the
Associated alloys ones. Oh, no affiliation to either company!

Yes, there are a few little prerequisite's to get it right, like, as long as
the PCB has a good solder mask, very good quality plating on the pads, gold
plated DIL pins, the right annular ring size on the pad, and of course, and
the right hole size, then with a little practice anyone can do it. So in
essence, everything needs to be good, the iron, the solder, the pcb, the
parts. You can do ~10-20 pins a side before you need to clean the excess
flux of the iron tip. The joints come out perfect every time, no bridging.
Without the prerequisites, it gets a tad more fiddly to do, and you may have
to clean up a few bridges, but still doable.

/~darren
(semi retired now, but owned an Electronics Manufacturing company in
Australia for 17 years; I just wish I could code)