[En-Nut-Discussion] question: about video streaming

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Tue Dec 16 11:13:46 CET 2008

samkol chea wrote:

> Do you know where I can buy the hardware "enut5"?

We hope that Atmel keeps the promise to deliver the AT91SAM9XE in
quantities in Q1/2009. Right know we have a few prototypes only.

> Now, I am planning to use the board below to perform the video streaming.
> http://www.soc-machines.com/product/Amber_Specs/Amber_Processor.html

Almost an Ethernut 1.3 clone. Whether this can be done with this board
depends on frame rate, resolution and camera interface.

You can do a few pre-calculations. The CPU can execute about 18 Million
instructions per second. Let's start with an extreme: A 320x240 full RGB
color camera would provide 230k Pixels per frame, leaving 78
instructions to process 1 byte. Probably not enough to grab the pixels
from the camera, compress them and send them over the network.

I do not know the Amber Board, but it is overclocked and most probably
requires an additional wait state for external RAM access.

Another problem is, that you may not have enough RAM to store a full
picture and the compressed image.

If you want to stay with products from SOC Robotics, the P1 looks like
the right choice to me.