[En-Nut-Discussion] Group to port to AVR32 UC3.

Thiago A. Corrêa thiago.correa at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 21:03:41 CET 2008

Hi Harald,

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Harald Kipp <harald.kipp at egnite.de> wrote:
> Thiago A. Corrêa wrote:
>>    I'm looking into porting NutOS to AVR32 UC3A. More specifically,
>> the ATEVK1100 [1] initially. So, we could all have a reference
>> schematic and board to develop and test.
>
> Because of Microchip/ON-Semi offer, we were not sure about lifetime of
> the AVR32 family and decided to go for the Freescale MCF52xx. Not at
> least because Dusan Ferbas announced his interest. Though, Dusan and I
> had been too busy and not much had happed yet.

Microchip got me concerned too. I'm not sure if they would ditch Atmel
products had they succeeded though, as they are looking into buying
technology they don't have rather than just taking out a competitor.
At least that's what said the article I read with an analysis of the
offer.
Anyway, had it happened, or if it happens in the future, as far as
users are concerned, thanks to Nut OS API as a hardware abstraction,
porting apps is much easier than it would be otherwise. Our company
for one is looking into porting existing ethernut 1.3g based boards to
AVR32 UC3.

>>    The company I work for is interested in supporting this project in
>> any reasonable way it can.
>
> Despite our reservations mentioned above and the current preference for
> Freescale, the same is true for egnite. However, from my experience this
> is by far not enough to get the ball rolling. Other developers will
> become attracted as soon as something useful is offered already.

Yeah, I guess I will try to get things going. I already asked my local
contact if they have an spare EVK1100. If all goes well soon I will
get some experimenting going.

> In general I welcome your engagement and, as far as I understood, there
> is some commercial interest in your company, which makes it more likely
> to happen ;-). We do have an old STK1000 and already considered to order
> something newer. As far as time allows, you can count on egnite.

Thanks. I'm skilled with C but terrible with assembly, so I might soon
require some tips and info on the context switching. :)