[En-Nut-Discussion] Group to port to AVR32 UC3.

Thiago A. Corrêa thiago.correa at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 19:43:53 CET 2008

Hi Michael.

Michael Fischer wrote:
> have you take a look in the errata from the AVR32 UC3A?
> Unfortunately my eval board is equiped with an ES version.

I haven't yet looked at the errata, but I'm aware of the ES issue...
kits were shipped by Atmel with the Engeneering samples, and later in
some chip revision the Software Toolkit became incompatible. Others
have speculated on the avrfreaks.net that it's some headers that got
changed. But I don't really know for sure.
If it's something simple, perhaps we could wrap around defines (?)

Perhaps you could order samples from Atmel and change the chip on the kit.

I'm still waiting for the local Atmel to reply if they have one EVK
here in Brazil.

Harald: Would you mind if I start commiting changes to the build
scripts, new makefiles for avr32 and other skeleton work?
Or should we branch somewhere else to work and submit everything in
one big patch? It could be a nice excuse for us to go ahead and move
to svn *hint*. I could do the svn2cvs conversion if you want and send
you the tarball to load into SF. I guess one needs to be one of the
project admins to do that.

> Personal I like eval boards where the external SDRAM can
> be used to simulate the flash. Here you have more breakpoints
> instead of working in the real flash only.

Well, I'm yet to find a board that does that. So far I only developed
in boards where I would flash the MCU then run. That's what I usually
do with our atmega boards, AVR32 AP7000 as well...
Other than the flash wear out, I'm not sure what benefits we would get
from executing out of RAM.

> But even the newer version of the chip (Rev.J) had problems
> with the SDRAM, where you can not use it for code execution.
> (AT32UC3A manual, 32058F-AVR32-08/08)
>
> How many breakpoints are available in Flash?

AFAIK, that's limited by the JTAGICE mkII or AVR One if you can get one :D
But I could be wrong.

Btw, I wonder if AP7000 and UC3 are "source code" compatible. That is,
if we port to UC3 we could just recompile for AP7000 with the same
code without branching with ifdefs. Does anyone know?

Kind Regards,
    Thiago A. Correa