[En-Nut-Discussion] SAM9260-EK getting started

Ivan Stojiljkovic stojivan at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 18 09:25:16 CEST 2008

Hi all,

I have also similar problem as steve and I have no solution so far. I have
problem running ethernut applications (on Olimex SAM9-L9260 board).

If I foolow instructions for running events application from ethernut site,
the results are:
- using SAM-BA 2.5 - everything runs without any problem (using both "Enable
SDRAM 100 MHz" and "Enable SDRAM 133 Mhz")
- using SAM-BA 2.8 - nothing is displayed on debug port (there is only
"Enable SDRAM" here)
Something is strange here, I compared SDRAM routines (lot has changed from
2.5 to 2.8 version) but could not figure it out what is the difference that
matters. Also, "getting started" application from Atmel is working in all
cases, so it seems that SDRAM is initialized properly. (When comparing
content of SDRAM after downloading application from SAM-BA utilitiy, it
shows that content of SDRAM is good in all cases).

Now comes the tricky part. I want to boot from dataflash, so there is
bootstrap and ethernut (events) application on 0x8000 in dataflash.
- using Atmel's bootstrap (compiling it on my own or using one from
Linux4Sam) gives me no result, nothing is displayed on debug port (default
start address 0x23F00000 is taken into account)
- IMPORTANT: using bootstrap loader from
http://www.ethernut.de/en/documents/sam-web-radio.html - makes ethernut
application working. Unfortunatelly, there is only bin file, without source,
so I can not compare what is changed here (on the sam-web-radio page it says
that 'Thanks to Atmel France for providing two second stage boot loaders')
(offtopic - are this second stage loaders?)

I tried PSilva's solution but with no result, thanks for the effort! maybe I
am doing something wrong.

Also, using u-boot as second stage bootloader and downloading and starting
ethernut application from it does not work.

Seems like something is realy wrong in crt file, but again - using bootstrap
from sam-web-radio makes things work. What is the problem here?

Best regards,
Ivan