[En-Nut-Discussion] UDP Throughput

Omar.Qureshi at L-3com.com Omar.Qureshi at L-3com.com
Tue Jul 29 16:18:22 CEST 2008

Thanks for the help.. one question that I'm not sure about.

You had mentioned setting the UDP socket buffer size.  Do I just set the
buffer size by calling the NutUDPSetSockOpt() with SO_RECVBUF?  Or do I
also have to manually allocate that space from the memory pool?  I guess
what I'm asking is.. where is the udp queue buffer allocated?  In my
current configuration my so_rx_bsz is 0, so there's no queueing at all.
So I'm dropping UDP packets all over the place, even with the 91c111.

Thanks,

Omar

-----Original Message-----
From: en-nut-discussion-bounces at egnite.de
[mailto:en-nut-discussion-bounces at egnite.de] On Behalf Of Harald Kipp
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2008 7:25 AM
To: Ethernut User Chat (English)
Subject: Re: [En-Nut-Discussion] UDP Throughput

Omar,

Omar.Qureshi wrote:

> I am running EtherNut on my ATMega128 (14.5MHz) with the 91C111 Mac
Phy
> chip on a 100BaseTX network.  I've looked around the net and not seen
> anybody's number on packets per second throughput.  What kind of
packets
> per second throughput (with max  580 byte packets) should be
acheiveable
> with this setup?  What have you guys seen?  I'm interested in seeing
how
> much UDP multicast traffic this setup should be able to swallow
without
> dropping too many packets.

At least make sure to set the UDP buffer
http://www.ethernut.de/api/group__xg_udp_socket.html
Otherwise you may lose too many incoming packets.

AFAIK, there is no UDP benchmark available. I'd roughly estimate about
300 packets per second, may be up to 400. Typically sending will be a
bit slower than receiving on the Ethernut side.