[En-Nut-Discussion] Http infinite loop problem.

Thiago A. Corrêa thiago.correa at gmail.com
Thu May 15 02:20:34 CEST 2008

This is a follow up with a discussion I was having with Ole in Re:
[En-Nut-Discussion] Duplicate code in httpd.c and ssi.c

Ole, devs,

   I think I figured out what is wrong with the http code.
   The addition of Keep-Alive http connections have brought to light
an unexpected issue. The code now works inside a loop to service
different requests from the browser. The problem is, that it uses
fgets to read the next request inside that loop, and fgets never times
out and blocks if there is nothing available to read.
   I was able to get the code to work back again by adding a timeout
to the socket before passing on the stream to NutHttpProcessRequest,
but then it always takes a timeout to finish loading cgi's and asp's.
Not to mention that it requires code change on existing applications.

  I don't know if there are any good solutions to this problem. One
easy hack would be set req->req_connection = HTTP_CONN_CLOSE; when we
process asp's and cgi's. I don't know if this is acceptable or not.

  I have no idea why it happens only to asp and cgi though. It might
be that's just because it's the last thing that the browser requests
on my use case.

Kind Regards,
    Thiago A. Correa