[En-Nut-Discussion] Ethernut 5.0 Schematic Preview

Ole Reinhardt ole.reinhardt at embedded-it.de
Thu May 15 10:03:27 CEST 2008

Hi Harald,

> Do you really think, that using an 8 bit NAND Flash would make that much
> difference? I know that you had bad experience with the slow NOR Flash
> access on Ethernut 3, but it's a big difference between reading data
> from an 8 bit device or running code in an 8 bit device.

Yes I know. Linux uses the device as a file system and thus the nand
flash also contains the program binaries etc. Normaly it will be
formated with a jffs2 filesystem.

So using a 8bit interface results in slower filesystem access and long
startup times for applications.

> The problem with large 16 bit chips is, that there are only a few types
> available in the Gigabit range and the availability may cause problems.
> And no, there is definitely no more space available for a second one.
> The board is fully packed on both sides.

:) At least it won't be a show stopper to use a 8 bit device. But it
would be nicer to have a 16bit one. So if there's no chance, that's ok.
I'm shure there will came up more ethernut boards in the future, and
they also shall have options for small innovations.

Regards,

Ole Reinhardt

| Embedded-IT          Hard- und Softwarelösungen             |
| Ole Reinhardt        Tel. / Fax:        +49 (0)271  7420433 |
| Luisenstraße 29      Mobil:             +49 (0)177  7420433 |
| 57076 Siegen         eMail:    ole.reinhardt at embedded-it.de |
| Germany              Web:         http://www.embedded-it.de |
|                      UstID / VAT:       DE198944716         |